Preparation Time: 15 minutes
2 tablespoons macadamia nut oil
2 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
4 medium onions, halved and thinly sliced
3 tablespoons balsamic vinegar
1/2 cup arugula
1 teaspoon minced garlic
8 large eggs
1/2 cup shredded Parmesan cheese
1/2 teaspoon ground black pepper
- Heat oil in medium saute pan over medium-low heat. Add onions; stir to coat. Cook 10 minutes, stirring occasionally. When onions have softened and start to brown, add vinegar.
- Cook onions an additional 20 minutes or until very soft and dark brown in color. Reserve 1/3 cup of the onions for omelet. Cool and store remaining onions in an airtight container for another use.
- For omelet: lightly spray 10-inch nonstick skillet with cooking spray; heat over medium heat. Add the reserved onions, arugula and garlic to skillet. Saute 1 minute or until arugula has wilted.
- Combine egg whites, cheese and pepper; pour mixture into skillet. Cook untouched 1 minute or until edges begin to set. Gently pull edges towards center to allow uncooked portion to run beneath. Repeat twice; cover with lid. Continue cooking 1 to 2 minutes more or until center is set.
- Fold omelet in half. Cut in half; serve immediately.