The caramelized onions bring a smooth, sweet flavor to this breakfast dish. The pairing with red pepper brings a comforting breakfast to warm up your winter day!
Preparation Time: 20 minutes
2/3 tsp macadamia nut oil
1 cup onions (vertically sliced)
1 cup red bell peppers (finely chopped)
4 cups whole wheat bread (cut into 1 inch)
2 C egg substitute
Olive oil cooking spray
1 tbsp mustard (spicy brown)
1 cup Swiss cheese shredded
1. Preheat oven to 375 degrees.
2. Coat a large nonstick skillet with macadamia nut oil over medium-high heat.
3. Add onion, and sauté 4 minutes to caramelize.
4. In a mixing bowl, pour eggs over breadcrumbs and let soak.
5. As onions caramelize, add whole grain mustard to egg mixture. Add cheese, red pepper and mix. Let the bread soak up the mixture.
6. Continue sautéing and flipping onions-about 4 minutes.
7. When onions are finished caramelizing, transfer half into baking dish coated with cooking spray. Pour in egg mixture, and top off with the rest of the onions.
8. Transfer into the oven and bake for about 20 minutes uncovered, until golden brown. Let stand 5 minutes before serving.
Tip from Binks: Feel free to add any extra ingredients-even dinner leftovers if they are healthy! Mix it up and use your imagination for a more unique strata.