Three Teens, One Adult Injured at Lancaster High School

6:37 PM, Jul 2, 2013   |    comments
  • Share
  • Print
  • - A A A +

LANCASTER, NY - Four people were injured by a severe electric shock Monday when the portable football goal posts they were moving at Lancaster High School came into contact with overhead electrical lines. 

According to Lancaster police, the youngest person hurt was a 15-year-old from Lancaster. The oldest was a 28-year-old from Getzville. A 17-year-old from Amherst and an 18-year-old from Lancaster were also injured.

The four men were rushed to local hospitals. Children's Hospital confirms they have one patient who has been admitted, and three others were taken to ECMC. 

PHOTO GALLERYKids Injured at Lancaster High School

A relative of one of the victims went on social media sites Monday afternoon and said her brother's heart stopped beating, and that he had to be revived.  She said he is on a respirator and is responding.

2 On Your Side also learned from social media and ECMC that one of the men is in the burn unit.

Officials tell 2 On Your Side four people were moving a football goal post when they received an electric shock. The goal post left large burn marks on the field.

According to Lancaster Police, the goal posts had apparently been used for a recent weekend football kicking camp run by the Hammer Kicking Academy.

The district superintendent, Mike Vallely, told reporters at a Monday afternoon news conference the goal posts had not been moved since the school's field house was built.

"All I'm saying is that they have not been moved from the east end of that field that would have crossed powerlines since 1999," Vallely said.

Vallely said he does not know who was using the field or why on Monday but that the district is going to investigate.

"That's one of the interesting parts of this. Who those people are and what their affilitation on the field would be at that time," Vallely said.

Vallely said that there are procedures and protocols put in place by the district for the use of the athletic fields, but did not say whether they require trained medical personel to be on site when the field is in use.

Power was out for a short period of time around Lancaster High School, as well as Genesee Street near the Buffalo Aiport.

A spokesperson for the Buffalo Aiprort says they lost power for about 15-20 minutes before the generators kicked in.  No flights coming in or out of the airport were affected.

NYSEG released this statement following the incident:

At 12:45 p.m. today, electricity service was interrupted to approximately 1000 customers in the Lancaster area. NYSEG crews were dispatched to Lancaster High School to investigate the cause. When crews arrived it was reported that a portable goal post was being moved at the high school when it came in contact with an overhead power line. NYSEG crews quickly de-energized the line to allow the Bowmansville Fire Department to conduct its investigation. Power was restored to all customers at 1:43 p.m. NYSEG will remain on the scene as long as requested to do so by the fire department. All questions related to this incident should be directed to the Bowmansville Fire Department.

Our thoughts and prayers are with the individuals, families and friends of those impacted by this unfortunate incident.

Most Watched Videos