Cook Time: 40 minutes
- 1 pound ground buffalo, (bison)
- 1/2 cup cooked brown rice
- 1/2 cup shredded smoked cheese, such as Cheddar, Gouda or mozzarella
- 2 tablespoons smoky barbecue sauce, divided
- 1 tablespoon paprika, preferably sweet Hungarian
- 2 teaspoons Dijon mustard
- 1 teaspoon minced garlic
- 3/4 teaspoon freshly ground pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 cup low-fat mayonnaise
- 1 tablespoon sweet pepper relish, or pickle relish
- 2 teaspoons prepared horseradish
- 4 whole-wheat hamburger buns, toasted
- 4 slices tomato
- 4 thin slices sweet onion, such as Vidalia
- Preheat grill to medium.
- Place meat, rice, cheese, 1 tablespoon barbecue sauce, paprika, mustard, garlic, pepper and salt in a large bowl. Gently combine, without over mixing, until evenly incorporated. Form into 4 equal patties, 1/2 to 3/4 inch thick.
- Combine the remaining 1 tablespoon barbecue sauce, mayonnaise, relish and horseradish in a small bowl.
- Oil the grill rack grill the burgers until an instant-read thermometer inserted in the center registers 155°F, 5 to 6 minutes per side.
- Assemble the burgers on buns with the barbecue mayonnaise sauce (optional), tomato and onion.
FOR MORE RECIPES, LOG ONTO CHEFBINKS.COM