52 ideas, one for each week of the year:
1. Set your mentoring goals together.
2. Make dinner together.
3. Make popcorn and talk.
4. Go to a concert.
5. Tackle some homework.
6. Go out to dinner together.
7. Go to a movie.
8. Shoot some hoops.
9. Go to the library together.
10. Just hang out.
11. Figure out how to program your VCR/DVD.
12. Learn about pop music.
13. Talk about life.
14. Give a tour of your current job.
15. Talk about your first job.
16. Talk about planning a career.
17. Plan a career.
18. Get together with friends from work.
19. Visit a community college.
20. Visit a local technical school.
21. Talk about college.
22. Work on applications together.
23. Explore financial aid options.
24. Work on a resume.
25. Talk about dressing for success.
26. Do a pretend job interview.
27. Talk about how to look for a job.
28. Talk about where to find a job.
29. Find a summer job.
30. Set up a work internship.
31. Talk about making connections.
32. Talk about what it takes to get ahead.
33. Talk about health insurance.
34. Talk about taxes.
35. Talk about balancing a checkbook.
36. Talk about work and life.
37. Talk about credit cards.
38. Talk about savings and investments.
39. Go bargain hunting.
40. Plan a week's worth of meals.
41. Go holiday shopping.
42. Learn to write a thank-you note.
43. Go to a house of worship.
44. Celebrate a friend's religious holiday.
45. Talk about relationships.
46. Talk about personal values.
47. Talk about the future.
48. Visit a convalesent hospital.
49. Discuss politics.
50. Share your culture and background.
51. Go hiking.
52. Do some volunteer work together
Courtesy of: California Governor's Mentoring Partnership
Click here for a printable version: www.mentoring.org/downloads/mentoring_564.doc