BUFFALO, NY - Buffalo Sabres General Manager Darcy Regier discussed the Sabres recent draft choices and plans for free agency, during a Tuesday morning news conference.
Regier was joined by Kevin Devine, Director of Amateur Scouting.
The Sabres' chose defensemen Rasmus Ristolainen and Nikita Zadorov in the first round.
All together, the Sabres picked 11 players in the draft.
Many hockey analysts are giving the Sabres' high marks for their choices this year.
Highlights from Tuesday's news conference include the following:
- Focus in free agency is on supporting younger core group currently on the roster.
- Matt Ellis will be brought back to be at the very least, the captain in Rochester.
- Rasmus Ristolainen will get every opportunity to make the team, but the decision will not be made until he is evaluated in training camp.
- Nikita Zadorov is viewed as a physical defenseman with some offensive upside.
- Regier complemented Andrej Sekera for his time in Buffalo, but said he decided to trade him to Carolina in exchange for a second round draft pick and defenseman Jamie McBain in order to complement the right-left defensive pairings on the roster.
- Teppo Numinen remains an assistant coach with head coach Ron Rolston. The organization will continue searching for another assistant.