Preparation Time: 1 hour, 1 hour refrigeration
1 tbsp macadamia nut oil
4 ounces turkey sausage (cut into bite size pieces)
1/2 onion (chopped)
4 1/2 ozs spinach (baby)
1 garlic cloves (minced)
1/2 tsp salt
1/4 tsp black pepper (fresh ground)
tsp ground nutmeg (freshly)
3 3/5 cups italian bread (cubed italian bread)
1 cup gruyere cheese (grated)
1/4 cup grated parmesan cheese (finely)
1 1/3 cups almond milk
4 large eggs
- Heat the oil in a heavy large skillet over medium heat. Add the sausage and saute, until crisp and golden, about 5 minutes. Using a slotted spoon, transfer the sausages to a plate. Add the onion to the pan drippings in the same skillet and saute, until translucent, about 4 minutes. Add the spinach and garlic. Saute, over medium-low heat until the garlic is tender, about 2 minutes. Stir in 1/2 teaspoon of salt, 1/4 teaspoon of pepper, nutmeg, and the cooked sausages.
- Place half of the bread cubes in a buttered 3-quart baking dish. Sprinkle half of the cheese over the bread, then top with half of the spinach mixtures. Repeat layering.
- Whisk the milk, eggs, remaining 1/2 teaspoon of salt and 1/4 teaspoon of pepper in a large bowl and pour evenly over the strata. Chill the strata, covered with plastic wrap, at least 2 hours and up to 12 hours.
- Preheat the oven to 400 degrees F
- Bake strata uncovered until puffed, golden brown, and cooked through, about 25 minutes. Let stand 5 minutes before serving. Serve hot.