Preparation Time: 30 minutes
3 tablespoons macadamia nut oil, divided
4 (6-ounce) tilapia fillets
Salt and freshly ground black pepper
1 small onion, chopped
4 garlic cloves, minced
1 1/2 cups chopped tomatoes
1 Anaheim chili, stemmed, seeded and cut into thin strips
1 bay leaf
1 teaspoon dried oregano
1/2 cup pitted and halved green olives
1/4 cup capers, drained
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
- In a medium saute pan, heat 1 tablespoon of the oil over medium-high heat. Season the fish fillets on both sides with salt and black pepper, to taste.
- Saute the fillets until they are opaque and just cooked through, about 2 minutes per side. Transfer the fish to a glass baking dish where they fit snugly.
- In the same saute pan, heat the remaining 2 tablespoons of oil over medium-high heat. Add the onion and garlic and cook until the onion is translucent, about 5 minutes.
- Add the tomatoes, Anaheim chili, bay leaf and oregano and bring the pan to a boil. Reduce the heat to medium, cover and let the sauce simmer until the chilis soften, about 6 minutes.
- Uncover the pan, add the olives and capers, and cook until the flavors combine, about 4 minutes. Season the sauce with salt and pepper, to taste.
- Pour the sauce over the fish in the baking dish. Bake until the fish is heated through, about 5 minutes. Remove the dish from the oven, discard the bay leaf and serve.