ALBION, NY - Nearby residents were on "lockdown" as fire crews from four counties battled a large warehouse fire on West Avenue at Hamilton Street in this Orleans County community Thursday afternoon.
A building housing wooden pallets caught fire at about 4 p.m. and emergency workers were concerned that it might spread to the building next door that houses methyl chloride, a toxic chemical.
Neighbors were instructed to stay indoors with their windows closed.
The chemicals were later removed from the neighboring building, home to the Empire Coating company.
The fire started when the owner of the pallet company and another person were using a grinder on some metal pipes on the second floor. Sparks from the grinder are blamed for starting the fire. Both people were able to leave the building without incident.
Fire crews from Orleans, Monroe, Genesee and Niagara counties responded to the fire.
Demolition crews took down the building on Friday.