Indianapolis, IN (SportsNetwork.com) - Miami Dolphins head coach Joe Philbin
met with media members at the NFL Scouting Combine on Thursday and said the
team will have a better workplace environment in the wake of the Jonathan
Martin-Richie Incognito bullying scandal.
NFL independent investigator Ted Wells released the findings of an
investigation last week and said that three Dolphins offensive linemen --
Incognito, John Jerry and Mike Pouncey -- engaged in a pattern of harassment
directed at not only Martin, but also another young Dolphins offensive lineman
and an assistant trainer.
In response, the Dolphins on Wednesday fired offensive line coach Jim Turner
and head athletic trainer Kevin O'Neill.
Philbin said Thursday that he is "responsible for the workplace environment at
the Miami Dolphins' facility. We're going to have a better workplace. I'm
going to make sure that happens."
Philbin added that he didn't know the majority of what was happening with
Martin and Incognito and if he had seen it he "certainly would have acted on
Martin left the Dolphins in late October before a Week 9 game against
Cincinnati because of alleged bullying from Incognito, who was suspended in
early November and didn't play the rest of the season.
"The behavior, the language in the report was inappropriate and unacceptable,"
said Philbin on Thursday.
"I'm going to be more vigilant, more diligent, more visible, and I'm going to
have a better pulse (of the team)."
Philbin, despite the distractions, had the Dolphins in the playoff race late
in the 2013 season. Miami, though, lost its last two games with its postseason
fate in its own hands and finished 8-8 to miss the playoffs for the fifth
The Dolphins are 15-17 in his two seasons at the helm.
The Sports Network