Preparation Time: 45 minutes
3/4 lb mild turkey sausage
1 cup sliced mushrooms
1/2 onions (chopped)
1 1/2 garlic cloves (minced)
1/6 cup whole wheat bread crumbs
1/2 cup Neufchatel
1/2 cup parmesan cheese (shredded separated)
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Split zucchini lengthwise after cutting off the very ends.
- Scoop out seeds from center of zucchini allowing 1-2 inches of flesh on the outside of the "boat." (I cut a small amount off the under side of each boat to allow it to lay flat.).
- Place boats on large pan, covering with tin foil.
- In large skillet, begin browning sausage, mushrooms, and onion. When mixture is about half done, add garlic. Continue to cook until meat is cooked through.
- Stir in bread crumbs, cream cheese and 1/2 cup of Parmesan cheese and blend well.
- Spoon mixture into zucchini boats.
- Heat in oven for 30-35 minutes or until zucchini gives easily when stuck with a fork.
- Sprinkle with remaining Parmesan and cook an additional 10 minutes or until golden brown.