Spaghetti with Beef or Turkey Marinara Sauce
1 cup canned no salt added crushed tomatoes
2 tablespoons canned tomato paste
4 + fresh basil leaves
1/8 teaspoon dried ground oregano
1/16 teaspoon black pepper
3 cloves garlic
½ teaspoon extra virgin olive oil
2 tablespoons water
2 cups cooked whole wheat spaghetti
8 ounces extra lean ground beef (or turkey) already cooked from last night
1. Prepare whole wheat pasta as directed on package to make 2 cups cooked pasta. Set aside.
2. While pasta is cooking, chop basil and set aside for later.
3. Add olive oil to medium-sized frying pan and heat at low to medium temperature. Add minced garlic and stir until lightly browned. Add ground beef and sauté until browned.
4. Add canned tomatoes, tomato paste, and water into frying pan containing ground beef and garlic. Simmer mixture 5 minutes on medium heat.
5. Reduce heat to low and add chopped fresh basil leaves and all spices. Stir well.
6. Place 1 cup of cooked whole wheat pasta onto a plate and pour half of sauce on top. Garnish with low-fat mozzarella cheese.