Our full-flavored combination of casserole and breakfast bake brings a protein-packed, low-fat plate to your morning menu options.
Preparation Time: 40 minutes
1/2 onion (thinly sliced)
1 3/4 garlic (cloves mashed)
3/5 red pepper (sliced thin)
3/5 cup zucchini (sliced thin or shredded)
1/3 cup carrot (shredded)
4 3/5 ounces shiitake mushrooms (sliced, any variety will work)
1/3 cup soy sauce
1/6 cup rice vinegar
3/5 cabbage (purple, thinly sliced)
½cup egg whites from the carton
1/6 cup sesame seed oil
1/3 cup wheat germ (or 1/2 cup flax seeds, either add a great texture as a binding agent)
1/3 cup chopped almonds
1 1/6 tablespoons fresh ginger (chopped)
1. Preheat the oven to 350° and spray a 9x13-inch pan with non-stick cooking spray.
2. Heat a little vegetable oil in a large skillet, getting it hot before adding the garlic and onion.
3. Sautéthe garlic and onion until the onion begins to brown.
4. Add the carrots, zucchini and red pepper to the pan and sautéfor a few minutes until the vegetables begin to soften, releasing natural sugars and browning slightly.
5. Add the mushrooms and cabbage to the pan and stir all the vegetables together, combining their flavors.
6. Add the soy sauce and rice vinegar to the mixture.
7. Cover pan to steam the cabbage, check regularly for changes in texture.
8. In a large bowl, beat the eggs and add the remaining ingredients.
9. When the cabbage is soft, add the vegetables to the large bowl and stir immediately so as not to allow the eggs to cook from the heat of the vegetables.
10. Pour the mixture into the prepared pan and bake for 20-30 minutes until the egg sets, serve hot.