LOCKPORT, NY-- While much of Niagara County dries out and cleans up from severe storms on Friday night, many people in the city of Lockport are still dealing with cleanup costs from a major storm last month.
Lockport city officials have pointed out much of the damage from the June 28th storm was in homeowners' basements, which are not covered by federal funding through FEMA.
The federal agency did help the city government with some repair funding for streets and the wastewater treatment plant.
But on Sunday, state employees were at Lockport City Hall to help residents and businesses actually apply for some possible compensation from a $2 million grant from the state. That could provide some help for businessman Martin Oliveri who saw his WideWaters Drive-In restaurant damaged by the flooding in the city's canal area. He says he is trying to rebuild but it won't be easy.
"We are eligible for some money. It's minimal. We'll see how everything turns out. Whether we're able to open up back this summer. We're attempting that. It's very difficult," says Martin Oliveri, business owner.
Oliveri says that so far they have not been able to get a low interest disaster loan from the federal Small Business Administration. In the meantime, this state application process for assistance will continue Monday and Wednesday at Lockport City Hall.