What You'll Need to Cross the Border Starting June 1st

6:42 AM, May 18, 2009   |    comments
  • Share
  • Print
  • - A A A +

The Western Hemisphere Travel Initiative goes into effect June 1st and will require U.S. and Canadian citizens to present one of four forms of identification for entry into the United States by land or sea from Canada, Mexico, the Caribbean, or Bermuda.

A U.S. passport card costs $45 for those 16 and older and is valid for 10 years.  Passport holders can purchase a passport card for $20.  Passport cards are not valid for international air travel.  For more information, visit travel.state.gov

Enhanced driver licenses and non-driver IDs will also be valid for land and sea border crossings.  They can be delivered in approximately two weeks and cost less than $100.

For more information on how to obtain an EDL/ID in New York, click here.

For information on Canadian EDLs click here.

A valid passport (US or Canadian) is also an acceptable form of identification once the WHTI goes into effect.  For U.S. requirements, click here.  Canadian citizens can learn more, by visiting passportcanada.gc.ca

Travelers may also show their trusted traveler card, such as NEXUS, FAST, or SENTRI

For further information see U.S. Customs and Border Protection's website Ready, Set...Go!

Most Watched Videos