Defense Wants More Time in Colorado Shooting Case

10:12 AM, Oct 12, 2012   |    comments
  • Share
  • Print
  • - A A A +

CENTENNIAL, Colo. (AP) - A hearing to decide if the man accused of opening fire on a Colorado movie theater should stand trial might not be held until January, as lawyers for both sides review nearly 19,000 pages of evidence along with thousands more pages of medical records.

The preliminary hearing is set for November, but Judge William Sylvester said Thursday he would consider a defense request to delay the hearing until the new year.

In another sign of how much new information is still being processed, Sylvester allowed prosecutors to file 14 additional attempted murder charges against James Holmes based on the latest findings of the investigation. Last month, he allowed them to file 10 more attempted murder charges against Holmes.

It's not clear whether each count represents an additional person hurt in the shooting. Prosecutors have not spoken about the case beyond what they have filed in court.

Meanwhile, the mediator trying to resolve a dispute over funds for the victims of the Aurora theater shooting is meeting with victims and their relatives.

Kenneth Feinberg was meeting with the victims Thursday and Friday to discuss how $5 million in donations to victims and their families should be distributed.

Some victims have complained that not everyone is getting the money they need to deal with the tragedy. Feinberg says the money should be handed out with no strings attached. He told victims and their families Thursday that he hopes to distribute the donations by Thanksgiving.

The July 20 attack killed 12 people and wounded 58 others. Former University of Colorado-Denver graduate student James Holmes is charged with launching the attack.

Most Watched Videos