By Joseph Spector
Albany Bureau Chief
ALBANY The state Authorities Budget Office said today that it has censured the boards of directors of 13 public authorities "for persistent failure to comply with state law."
The Authorities Budget Office, which oversees the state's hundreds of often-overlooked public authorities, said the 13 agencies are in violation of failing to file annual reports.
The authorities receiving the letter are:
- Bolton Local Development Corporation
- Corinth Industrial Development Agency
- Fulton County Center for Regional Growth, Inc.
- Fulton County Economic Development Corporation
- Joseph Davis State Park Local Development Corporation
- Mechanicville Community Development Agency
- Mount Vernon Urban Renewal Agency
- Olean Local Development Corporation
- Olean Urban Renewal Agency
- Otsego County Development Corporation
- Tompkins County Area Development
- Village of Chittenango Local Development Corporation
- West Brighton Community Local Development Corporation
The authorities' office said it clear that the authorities ignored their requests for information.
David Kidera, director of the authorities budget office, said that "the board members of these 13 authorities were given every opportunity to comply with state law. We were compelled to take this enforcement action when directors neglected their legal responsibilities over several years and failed to respond adequately to previous warnings issued by our office. "
The censures could be required to be included in any efforts by the authorities to seek borrowing for projects, Kidera said.
The agency has censured 38 authorities since October 2011. The office was established in 2009 as a way to crack down on abuse in the scandal-scarred authorities and create greater transparency.