RIPLEY, NY-A natural gas leak is suspected in an explosion and fire that leveled a home in Ripley Monday morning.
Firefighters were called to a home on Lakeview Avenue following a report of an explosion around 11:30am Monday.
Chautauqua County Sheriff's say National Fuel investigated the explosion and discovered that the homeowner had fixed a gas line break on his own last year. They say that over the course of the year, the ground settled and caused the repaired area to break loose causing the gas leak underground. The gas seeped into the basement of the home and was ingnited from the pilot light on the hot water tank.
Luckily, no one was hurt.