Medicare Mixup

11:47 PM, Oct 18, 2013   |    comments
  • Share
  • Print
  • - A A A +

BUFFALO, N.Y. - An Orchard Park woman is trying to get reimbursement after she was unknowingly signed up for Medicare.

Sandra Sultemeier celebrated her 65th birthday over the summer, but what she didn't realize was that the Federal government gave her a little birthday present.

Sultimeier just realized, while checking her bank statements,  that the Social Security Administration has been taking $200 out of her check for the past three months for Medicare. The problem is that her husband is still employed, she is covered under his insurance and never signed up for Medicare.

Sandra is now trying to get the SSA to reimburse her for the $600 dollars in Social Security deductions.

Elizabeth Pivonka of the SSA explained what happened. When a person applies for Social Security before their 65th birthday (Sandra did so when she was 63), the application also serves as a Medicare application. The person is then automatically given Medicare on their 65th birthday.

Pivonka did offer some advice to Sultimeier and others who are in the same boat. When you receive your Medicare card, if you want to defer the benefit (and premiums), just send the card back with a note saying you would like to defer.

If deductions have already been made and you would like to be reimbursed, that is not as simple. Pivonka says you need to write to the Social Security Administration and request a retroactive deferral. Those requests are handled on a case-by-case basis.  

Most Watched Videos