CANISIUS, ST. FRANCIS, ST. JOE'S, AND TIMON/ST. JUDE TO VIE FOR THE TITLE
2) St. Joes
3) St. Francis
4) Timon St. Jude
5) St. Mary's
6) Cardinal O'Hara
Qadree Ollison, Canisius
Ryan Dougherty, Timon St. Jude
Nigel Davis, St. Joes
Jarret Dolegala, St. Francis
Nick Vallone, St. Mary's
Anthony DeFrancesca, Cardinal O'Hara
Head Coach: Rich Robbins (4-7-0, 1 year)
Assistant Coaches: Scott Walters, Clinton Hawkins, Bryce Hopkins, Beck O'Connor, Bryan Gorman, Tom Coppola, Paul Novtny, Marty Glose, Nick Todar, Alejandro Overton
2011 Varsity Record: 4-7-0
Starters Returning: Offense 7 Defense 8
Key Players: Patrick Haley, Qadree Ollison, Denzel Benton, Ryan Richards, Ryan Hunter, Mike Sharpe, Jake Muscarella, Emil DiNardo, Keon Garret, Anthony Kellerman, Billy Chappel, Josh Veronica, Josh Huffman
Key Losses: Mercer Timmis, Jake Plunkett, Anthony Iacono
2011 JV Record: 5-2-1
Crusaders look to rebound from last year's disappointing season. Rich Robbins has 7 starters returning on offense and 7 on defense. Line will be anchored by All-WNY candidates Ryan Hunter, Pat Haley, and Jake Muscarella. Offense will be explosive with Denzel Benton, Quadree Ollison, Keon Garrett and Ryan Richards. Defense will be carried by Mike Sharpe, Emil Dinardo, Josh Veronica, and Josh Huffman. Lake Shore transfer Tyler Mascio will compete for QB position. The Crusaders open at home against McQuaid, but play at Timon and St. Joes in weeks 8&9. Canisius is poised to compete for the title, but will need to improve its defense which gave up 400 points last season.
St. Joseph's Marauders
Head Coach: Dennis Gilbert (14-8-0, 2 years)
Assistant Coaches: Dan Troy, Dave Carlon, Tony Formato, Peter Hudecki, Joe Shifflet
2011 Varsity Record: 8-3-0
Starters Returning: Offense 5 Defense 6
Key Players: Roderick Payne, Nigel Davis, Franklin Spina, Jake Bargnesi, Ilo Noble, Dominic Barcnesi, Mike Hubert, Brandon Belles, Tremaine Shelton, Tyshawn Stepney, Tyler Hill and Austin Greenwood.
Key Losses: Chad Kelly, Kyle Briggs, Jordan Sanders
Marauders start new season without former standout and Clemson bound freshman Chad Kelly at the helm. Dennis Gilbert has guided his teams to the Title game in his first two years as head coach, including a win in 2010. Several quality players are returning, including All-WNY candidates Roderick "Thumper" Payne, Nigel Davis, Ilo Noble, and Frank Spina. Key to season will be play of QB. Will compete for Title. Host Wilson in opener and play Bennett in non league play in Week 2. Host St. Francis and then rival Canisius in Week 9, with a crowd expected to be in the thousands. Transfer Tremaine Shelton (6' 6", 270 lb. JR Lineman), will be a major addition to the program.
St. Francis Red Raiders
Head Coach: Jerry Smith (128-101-4, 24 years)
Assistant Coaches: Josh Scibetta, Steve Otrembo, Joe Volpe, Bill Stachowski, Jim DeMarco
2011 Varsity Record: 8-3-0
Starters Returning: Offense 3 Defense 2
Key Players: Jarret Dolegala, Alex Misterman, Brian Melisz, Jordan Zakroczemski, Jordan Sigi, Regan Schichtel, Dylan MacDonald, Josh Fisher, Jake Dolegala, Brandon Misterman, Dylan Sager
Key Losses: Miles Bartholomew, Akeel Lynch, Cody Buchanon, Dominic Buccieri
2011 JV Record: 1-8-0
Red Raiders graduated 22 seniors from last year's championship team, including 16 moving on to the collegiate ranks of football. Jerry Smith returns only 3 starters on offense and 2 on defense. The Raiders still have All-WNY candidates in LB Jarrett Dolegala, RB Alex Misterman, and Jordan Zakroczemski. Other key players offensively include Brian Melisz, Jake Doegala, and Brandon Misterman, while Jordan Sorgi, Regan Schichtel, Dylan MacDonald, and Dolegala anchor the defense. The JV squad did not fare as well, only winning one game last season. The Red Raiders host Aquinas in the opener, and look to compete for a third consecutive trip to the title game.
Timon St. Jude Tigers
Head Coach: Charlie Comerford (8-3-0, 1 year)
Assistant Coaches: Dave Comerford, Nick Parisi, Paul Fitzpatrick
2011 Varsity Record: 8-3-0
Starters Returning: Offense 9 Defense 5
Key Players: Ryan Dougherty, Brad Wellen Zohn, Tom Gioia, Adam DiMillo, Jackson Brown, Sean Murphy, Ryan Byrne, Bryant Fulton, Lew Vacarro, Brad Wellenzohn, Geoff Stoltzman, Dylan Carbone, Demore Harris, Joe Caulfield
Key Losses: Jordan Williams, DiMilo Gibbs
2011 JV Record: 3-6-0
Tigers return 9 starters on offense and 5 on defense from last season's 8-3 squad. Offense will be strong with several All-WNY candidates playing key roles. QB Ryan Dougherty, who threw for 2,067 yards as a junior, RB Adama DiMillo is an outstanding athlete who averaged 200 yards before being injured, WR Bryant Fulton, Lineman Ryan Byrne and one of the top kickers in the area in Tom Giola. Lew Vaccarro, Jackson Brown and Brad Wellenzohn will key defense, while Byrne , Geoff Stoltzman and Demone Harris will anchor the line. Charlie Comerford's squad have a tough schedule, having to face Williamsville South, Stubenville, and Aquinas in the first 3 games. Tigers are expected to compete for the league title. Play Canisius and St. Joes at home.
St. Mary's Lancers
Head Coach: Dave Hersey (12-8-0, 2 years)
Assistant Coaches: Tom Hersey, Matt Ard, Steve Kolbert
2011 Varsity Record: 4-5-0
Starters Returning: Offense 5 Defense 5
Key Players: Nick Vallone, Andrew Hoffman, Alex Horvatis, Bryan O'Neill, Nate Kieth, Lucas Schaefer, Robert Desiderio, Justin Green, Justin Hersey, Tijuan Harris, Deion Strong
Key Losses: Kyle DiPirro
2011 JV Record: 6-3-0
Lancers return 5 on both sides of the ball, led by All-WNY candidates RB Nick Vallone, who rushed for 1,130 yards in 2011, Andrew Hoffman, proud holder of 300 lb. bench press, and Alex Horvatis. Other key players for Dave Herseys squad include Bryan O'Neill, Nate Keith, Lucas Schaefer, and Robert Desiderio. Talent from 6-3 JV squad will help the Lancers with their tough schedule including a difficult test against the Big 4. St. Mary's open at Franklin and host Canisius in week 2, Lancers look to be competitive.
Cardinal O'Hara Hawks
Head Coach: Angelo Sciandra (115-116-3, 24 years)
Assistant Coaches: Steve Kasmore, Doug Buczak, Jared Falconrath
2011 Varsity Record: 1-7-0
Starters Returning: Offense 5 Defense 4
Key Players: Anthony DeFrancesco, Patrick Castile, Keith Carter, Zak Glowacci, Jared Gonzalez
Key Losses: Kyree Carter, Chris Driver
Hawks aim to improve from 1 win season in 2011 and get back to winning ways. Prior to last season the Hawks had dominated, winning 5 consecutive league championships. Strength of schedule changes dramatically this year however, with games against the Big 4. Credit Coach Angelo Scriandra for giving his team a challenge against some of the area's best. Hawks will not field a JV team for the second consecutive year. Key players will be 3 year starter Anthony DeFrancesco, Pat Castile and Zak Glowacki.
QB Jake Dolegala, St. Francis
QB Ryan Dougherty, Timon St. Jude
RB Adam DiMillo, Timon St. Jude
RB Alex Misterman, St. Francis
RB Qadree Ollison, Canisius
RB Nick Vallone, St. Mary's
TE Bill Chappel, Canisisus
WR Bryant Fulton, Timon St. Jude
WR Denzel Benton, Canisius
OL Ryan Hunter, Canisius
OL Andrew Hoffman, St. Mary's
OL Ryan Byrne, Timon St. Jude
OL Franklin Spina, St. Joes
OL Jake Muscarella, Canisius
OL Pat Haley, Canisius
K Tom Gioia, Timon St. Jude
RS Patrick Castile, Cardinal O'Hara
DL Jordan Sorgi, St. Francis
DL Emil DiNardo, Canisius
DL Robert Costanzo, St. Joes
LB Nate Keith, St. Mary's
LB Jarret Dolegala, St. Francis
LB Roderick Payne, St. Joes
LB Brad Wellen Zohn, Timon/St. Jude
LB Mike Sharpe, Canisius
LB Alex Horvatis, St. Mary's
LB Jordan Zakroczemski, St. Francis
DB Josh Huffman, Canisius
DB Anthony DeFranciso, Cardinal O'Hara
DB Brian Melisz, St. Francis
DB Ilo Noble, St. Joes
P Brandon Belles, St. Joes
U Ryan Richards, Canisius
RS Nick Vallone, St. Mary's
News & Notes:
- The MSGR Martin Association Football League consists of the following teams: Canisius, Cardinal O'Hara, St. Francis, St. Joes, St. Mary's, and Timon St. Jude. Nichols has decided to play an independent schedule and Niagara Catholic is only fielding a JV team for this upcoming season.
- The playoff schedule will be as follows: First and second place teams will draw a bye in the Quarter-Finals on Nov. 2/3. The number 3 seed will play the number 6 seed, while the number 4 plays number 5. Higher seeds will host the games.
- The Semi-Finals will be played Nov. 8 at Ralph Wilson Stadium, followed by the Championship game on Nov. 15, also at RWS.
- Canisius SR. Ryan Hunter is 6'5", 320 lb. lineman who benched 320, runs a 5.0 forty, and possesses a 88 GPA. The Crusader has committed to Bowling Green.
- Thunder & Lightning: Qadree Ollison & Denzel Benton, Canisius
- Timon St. Jude JR. RB Adam DiMillo has accepted a scholarship to play lacrosse at the University of Maryland
- St. Mary's JR. RB Nick Vallone should rush for 1,000 yards again this season. The 5' 6", 170 lb. runs a 4.5 forty and is the son of Chuck Vallone, who played for Williamsville South in the 80's
- Timon St. Jude SR. Tom Gioia is one of the top kickers in the area
- Best Locker Room: St. Joes
- St. Mary's JR. Justin Green is a 6'3", 325 lb. OL who benches 300 lbs. and carries a 88 GPA
- Players you'll get to know: Jake & Jarrett Dolegala, St. Francis
- Most Varsity Coaches: Canisius (10)
- Timon St. Jude SR. Geoff Stoltzman is 6'5", 285 lbs. lineman who benches 275 and possesses a 96 GPA
- Best Dancer: Ilo Noble, St. Joes
- Top Academic Achievers: Adama Horvatis, St. Mary's, Geoff Stoltzman, Timon St. Jude, Dylan MacDonald, St. Francis
- St. Francis SR. RB Alex Misterman is a candidate for 1,000 yards rushing
- Timon St. Jude SR. QB Ryan Dougherty and SR. WR Bryant Fulton will form one of the top passing combinations in the area
- The Hogs: Ryan Hunter, 6'5", 320 lbs. Jake Muscarella, 6'4" 275 lbs. & Emil DiNardo, 6', 260 lbs. Canisius
- St. Francis has sent 13 alumni to Division (1A) programs in the past 4 years
- Canisius SR. WR Denzel Benton runs a 4.4 forty and benches 300 lbs.
- Since 2000, when the MSGR Martin Association reinstated the Championship Game, St. Francis has won 6 titles, while St. Joes and Canisius have 3 and 1 respectively.
- Top Underclassmen: Nigel Davis, St. Joes, Roderick Payne, St. Joes, Adam DiMillo, Timon St. Jude, Qadree Ollison, Canisius
- Strongest: Ryan Hunter, Canisius
- Fastest: Denzel Benton, Canisius
- Biggest: Tremaine Shelton, St. Joes
- Best Dressed: Nigel Davis, St. Joes
- Coach with most wins: Jerry Smith
- Top Complexes: St. Joes & Canisius
- Timon St. Jude SR. QB Ryan Dougherty threw for 2.067 yards and 21 TD's last season.
- Coaches at St. Joes, Canisius, and Timon St. Jude have a combined 5 years experience as head coach, while Jerry Smith has led the Red Raiders for 24 years.
- Teams from the MSGR Martin Association are playing 9 games this season with teams from Section VI
- Best Dressed Coaching Staff: Canisius
- Timon St. Jude SR K Tom Gioia booted 39 of 43 PATs, kicked 2 FGs and punted for an average of 35 yards as a JR.
- JD Recor transferred to Timon St. Jude from Lancaster, Derek Simpson and Tremaine Shelton transferred from Performing Arts.
- Forecast: Canisius, St. Francis, St. Joes, and Timon St. Jude will all vie for the Title